Thursday, June 30, 2011

Val’s Personalized Altered Book


This is the altered board book I recently made for my niece’s birthday.  She loves to travel and has visited seven countries to date.  (Feel free to click on each picture to enlarge.)
The cover is a neat textured scrapbook paper that I shabbied up even more to give it the loved, worn look.
I painted and skinned up the letters for VAL and the JOY is from a red, glittered ornament I bought after Christmas.  I sanded off all the glitter and rubbed a little brown craft paint over the red.
100_9138
The atlas pages were taken from a huge 6” dictionary that was in an old trunk I bought for $10.  (off topic:  There was immediate buyer’s remorse after buying that trunk as I drove away, so I put it in my aunt’s yard sale the next day and she sold it for $20!) 
For dimension I used some recycled cardboard coasters as well as red beads to frame the pics.
Stamped all around are the countries she’s traveled to.
100_9141
The ‘pom-poms’ are vintage velvet buttons.
Raise your hand if you ever helped paint posters for your highschool’s pep rallies!
100_9140
In the exact center of the book is the reminder that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life.
100_9142
Val loves the snow—though she now lives in Hawaii, go figure!  I cut this pic in thirds and then framed each piece.
100_9146
I had to have a little fun with this cute ‘snowball’ ribbon!
100_9143
The Hawaiian page has two scriptures written in the ‘clouds’—”This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it”.  And “For the Lord is good.  His mercy is everlasting and His truth endures to all generations”.
The pictures I printed on vellum paper.  And since we don’t live near any oceans, I had to make due with river ‘beach’ glass my sister and I have collected on our occasional dog-walking excursions.
100_9149
Here, I tried to simulate the look of stickers collected while traveling.
100_9150
The final touch was to wrap it up in twine and send it on its way to the World Traveler!
100_9161
Back
Home

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm interested in what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to say it!